CareForMeNot

I am me and me is I. What I see and what you see Will be completely different! "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." — Marilyn Monroe

Wednesday 2 January 2013

Music and it's healing quantity.

"Never made it as a wise man
I couldn't cut it as a poor man stealing
Tired of living like a blind man
I'm sick of sight without a sense of feeling

And this is how you remind me
This is how you remind me
Of what I really am
This is how you remind me
Of what I really am"
 How You Remind Me: Nickleback


I was reminded this week how healing music can be.  I've been a bit down this week, more than anything because of being off work for so long and with nothing to do. One day I felt so bad I got in the car and started driving.  I had my own mix CD in the car, I put the music on loud and drove for about three hours. I felt so much better after that.  What it did remind me though is that I need music to help me with my mood.  Music also can help me to put into words how I feel, sometimes it might be the lyrics other times it might be the feel of the music, sometimes it's a mix of the two.

I really do enjoy putting on my headphones (SkullCandy thank you so much for having amazing headphones!) and put the music on, probably  louder than I should do, but I lay in bed and just allow the music to just completely consume me.  Sometimes I sing along, sometimes I just mouth along and sometimes I just let the music take over and I get lost in it.

It made me go through my music and just see what they would stir within me.  To begin with it was amazing and I remembered things I thought I had forgotten, but then there was the music that brought back feelings that I didn't want to remember and thoughts I didn't want in my head.  So I went back to music I know that help me through. 

The funny part is that two of the songs that really do help me and mean the world to me actually trigger memories of a time in my life that wasn't good, and yet they make me feel better and I'm sure it's because I beat things that time.  Slowly but surely I beat things, and perhaps that's why they help me and make me feel amazing, 'cos I know I can fight some fights.

Not sure it's going to help with the big one that I'm due.

However, the lesson I have learnt (or should I say re-learnt) is that the right music really can make a HUGE difference in ones life.  I really need to find the soundtrack that allows me to fight, the big one as well as the small one.  Music might just be my way out of the mess that is coming my way.


1 comment:

BlackPhi said...

I can't imagine how I could have got through life without music, whether recorded music or live music in pubs and small venues.

The odd thing is that when I have felt low it has often been miserable songs (or at least songs with gloomy lyrics) that have helped me through. It seems counter-intuitive, but it is a bit like walking through soft autumn rain when I am down - it feels appropriate and so it helps.

Another oddity is that sometimes I can hear a song now which I really related to long ago, and now it just isn't so relevant any more - I have actually moved on to a better place where I don't need that song any more. Sometimes an old song can remind me of that.

I would say that whilst life always has its ups and downs, the downs don't always have to be crashes. Tomorrow is a different day to yesterday, and its issues can be very different. Especially once one gets to recognise - and hopefully avoid - the feedback loops which can make a bad time so much worse.

Grace and peace to you in this new year, and hopes and dreams fulfilled.